Throwback Thursday: Best Bands and Artists of the ‘90s
by Lauren Pennino
You know what today is? Another Throwback Thursday! This week's throwback will be focusing on the top, most popular bands and artists of the '90s. The ‘90s music scene was predominately grunge and punk rock, and of course there was the pop girl and boy bands that everyone loved to drool over. Whenever a song from the ‘90s plays through the speakers today, there is no doubt that everyone will stop what they're doing to dance or sing along to the beat. The music that came out of the ‘90s has a way of making everyone feel good. The following are the top 10 bands and artists of the ‘90s:
1) Blink 182 -This pop-punk sensation was first formed in 1992. The bulk of their success began in 1997 when their album “Dude Ranch” was first released. This album would eventually go platinum thanks to their song “Dammit (Growing Up)” in 1998. This loved trio still does reunion tours and shows that sell out just as fast as they did back in the ‘90s.
2) Green Day -One of the most popular rock bands, formed in 1987, is Green Day. Their music was low key and off the radar until they went mainstream in 1994 with the release of their third studio album “Dookie”. In 1994, “Dookie” won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Performance.
3) Nirvana -Originally formed in 1987, this punk rock band trio exploded into mainstream culture around 1991. Nirvana was responsible for other metal bands such as Poison and Def Leppard to reach the radio.
4) Red Hot Chili Peppers -This “funk rock” group was originally formed in 1983 and would eventually become one of the most well known groups during the 1990s. The Chili Peppers struggled with their band during the ‘80s due to the loss of a band member. But their release album of “Mother’s Milk” became a surprise success in 1990.
5) No Doubt -This pop-punk band formed in 1986 and became mainstream after their 1995 album release of “Tragic Kingdom.” The song “Just a Girl” helped this band continue its claim to fame.
6) The Smashing Pumpkins - One of the most popular alternative rock bands of the ‘90s, this group formed in 1988. This band had a range of sounds from progressive rock, to heavy metal, to goth rock. Their hits “I am one” and “Cherub Rock” helped this group rise to fame.
7) Weezer -This geeky band appeared in 1992. Their style of music was a “hook-heavy guitar pop” sound. Their hits “Say it Ain’t So” and “Undone” led Weezer to become one of the ‘90s top modern-rock artists.
8) Foo Fighters -This group was formed in 1994 by Nirvana Drummer Dave Grohl following the death of Kurt Cobain. The groups first album as a whole was called “The Colour and the Shape.” This album contains some of the groups most well-known hits such as “My Hero” and “Monkey Wrench.”
9) Backstreet Boys -This teen loving sensation was first formed in 1993. Their rise to fame was due to their international album “Backstreet Boys” in 1996, following their second album “Backstreet’s Back” in 1997. The Backstreet Boys have sold over 130 million records world wide.
10) Spice Girls -This English pop girl group was originally formed in 1994. Their debut single “Wannabe” started their outrageous success in 1996. Their album “Spice” sold over 20 million copies worldwide.