The Mohawk Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross provided emergency aid to a family following a fire at a residence at 78 Broad Street in Morris that took place on Saturday.  It's the second fire in less than a week in Morris.

According to AllOTSEGO, Kelly Worman and her son Brendyn lived at the rental property with their dog. The fire was spotted by a friend of Brendyn's.  Chris Barry and another friend spotted the flames from the Mirabito parking lot and ran over to the burning residence. They ended up kicking in the door and rescuing the family's dog which was inside, trapped in his crate in the kitchen. The fire had not reached the kitchen at that point. No one was at home when the fire broke out. The cause of the fire appears to be electrical in nature.

Responding fire companies included: Gilbertsville, West Laurens, West Oneonta, Laurens, Mount vision, Garrettsville and Pittsfield.

The Red Cross has provided financial assistance for necessities such as food and clothing. In the coming days, Red Cross staff and volunteers will remain available to help those affected by the fire as they navigate the road to recovery. In order to help those who fall victim to a fire, the Red Cross relies on local donors to help families prepare, respond and recover from disasters. To help, please visit or call 1-800-RED-CROSS to donate to Disaster Relief and help people affected by disasters big and small.


More From WZOZ