Why I’m Taking Hurricane Sandy Seriously
For many of us, the above flooding scenario from last September is still way too fresh. Now, were' bracing for the "storm of the century" with the effects of hurricane Sandy on it's way to our area. I don't know about you but I'm actually taking this storm very seriously in my house by having prepared for a storm way beyond what I've ever done in the past.
Here's what we've been doing at our house:
- Cleaned up our yard because of the coming high winds and put yard things away.
- purchased extra flash lights and batteries, bottled water, extra food, and plenty of ice
- we have plenty of candles ready to go as well
- our basement is cleaned out since it tends to get water
- have plenty of water on hand for flushing toilets if the power goes out
- battery operated radios are ready to go
One other thing that we made sure to do that I would suggest is I checked in with an elderly neighbor to assure her that if she needed assistance, we would help out. This is a time to come together and help each other get through this. Now, that we're prepared for the worse, we wait and hope for minimal damage.