Outdoor Lovers: This Summer Enjoy ‘Otsego Summer Octet Challenge’
The group that brought us The Otsego Octet Winter Challenge this past winter in an attempt to get area residents outside and enjoying our beautiful Otsego Counties parks and state land is back with another challenge--The Otsego Summer Octet Challenge.
Both challenges were created through a collaboration between Otsego 2000, the Otsego Land Trust, and Otsego County Conservation Association and presented through Otsego Outdoors.
The idea is for everyone to get outside and enjoy hiking, biking, and/or paddling at designated locations throughout Otsego County. According to Otsego Outdoors, there are 16 activities in the challenge and anyone who completes 8 of them between May 29 and Labor Day (Sept. 6)
This program to encourage people to explore Otsego County and discover places they've never been before is managed by Otsego 2000. Here are the awesome sites that are part of the Summer Challenge:
- Hiking trails in Fetterley Forest in Richfield
- Basswood Pond State Forest in Burlington Flats
- R. Milton Hick Memorial State Forest in Roseboom
- Star Field and Glimmerglass State Park in Cooperstown
- Wilber Park and Robert V. Riddell State Park in Oneonta
- Gilbert Lake State Park in Laurens
- Brookwood Point at Otsego Lake
- The Portlandville Boat Launch (for kayakers and canoers)
- Accessing The Butternut Creek from Copes Corners Park just outside of Gilbertsville
- Canadarago Lake (visit Deowongo Island on the lake)
- Cycling routes travel around New Lisbon, and from Oneonta to Otego.
- In addition, people can enjoy art walks on the Cherry Valley Artworks Sculpture Trail, which begins July 2 and the G.E.M. Sculpture Park in Gilbertsville.
Considering that the Winter Octet Challenge was a success with 175 participants, organizers are hoping that area residents embrace the Summer Octet Challenge as well. It's a great activity to do with reconnect with friends and family. Anyone who completes the challenge will get the Summer Octet patch and bragging rights of course. There is a $5 per patch fee.
A Fall Octet Challenge is coming and we all know how beautiful fall is in Otsego County. Just another activity to look forward to!
Get all the information you need about the challenge and participation at otsegooutdoors.org/summer-challenge. For any questions, call 607-547-8881 or email email@example.com.