Oneonta Southside Mall To Host Job Fair
CDO Workforce will be having a job fair featuring many area businesses on September 25 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. a the Southside Mall in Oneonta.
Participating businesses include:
- ARC Otsego
- Cancer Services Program
- Eastern Staffing & Recruiting
- Mirabito Energy Products
- NYS Dept. of Corrections
- NYS Troopers
- NYS Veterans' Home - Oxford
- Oneonta Block
- Otsego Ready Mix
- Pickett Building Materials
- RSS Inc.
- Springbrook NY Inc.
- United Health Systems
- US Care Systems
- US Census Bureau
In order to best prepare for a job fair, here are some tips on how to get the most out of a job fair according to Berkeley University of California...
- Bring many copies of your resume for multiple employers.
- Come prepared. Find out participating businesses, research the companies you are interested in so you can ask specific questions of potential employers. This impresses representatives.
- Dress appropriately. "business casual" is considered appropriate.
- Allow yourself adequate time. Come as early as possible to give yourself plenty of time to visit with multiple potential employers.
- Get your bearings. When you arrive, take a few minutes to walk around and see where the employers you are interested in talking to are located.
- Prioritize the employers you're most interested in. This is a good idea in case you run out of time.
- Be flexible. The fair directory provides a brief summary of employers' opportunities and may not have been submitted by the same people who come to the fair. Some positions may no longer be available and other openings may have just emerged. No single employer representative is knowledgeable about all positions available, especially in a large organization. Some reps attending fairs are there to share their experiences working at the organization and may not be involved in the hiring process. If the employer rep at the fair does not know specifically about jobs/internships of interest to you, ask for the name of someone who can help you.
- Introduce yourself and be prepared to give your "career pitch." Extend your hand, say "hello" and state your name. Have your resume ready to give to the employer. Be ready to talk about your career interests and skills.
- Take notes when you inquire about next steps and the possibility of talking with additional managers. The representative at the fair may not be able to answer all of your questions or know specifics about your job interests. Write down the names, telephone numbers, etc. of other staff in the organization whom you can contact later.
- Ask the representative for his/her card
- Respect employers' materials/sample items. Some employers bring large quantities of print materials or "give aways" clearly intended for job fair attendees to take. Other employers bring a few copies of print materials, sample products, etc. as displays at their tables. Always check with employers before taking materials from their tables and don't take anything still packed in boxes.
- Be courteous! Demonstrate sensitivity to others waiting to speak with employers by keeping your questions brief and offering to continue your conversation at a later time.