Oneonta Fire Dept. Warns About Snow Covered Gas Vents
With all the snow we recently received, here's something you may not have considered...clearing snow away from the natural gas vent that leads out of your house. According to the Oneonta Fire Department, this is a hazard if not cleared since it means that gas exhaust will not be able to get out and can back up in your home, with a potential for carbon monoxide poisoning. Some furnaces have an automatic shut-off to prevent this from happening. It's best to make sure your vent is clear.
Also, clear away snow from around hot water heater vents to prevent malfunction. Add in clearing away snow from around your dryer vent because that can cause a heat buildup with a potential for fire.
READ MORE: 10 free apps to help you get fit in our new normal