NYSEG Warns To Keep Vents Clear
By Rich Petschke
NYSEG is reminding those with natural gas appliances to be sure and keep vents and chimneys clear of snow. Blocked vents can cause a buildup of carbon monoxide which is colorless and odorless and if undetected can very rapidly cause death.
The utility also reminds customers to take care when removing snow so gas and electric meters and feeder lines are not damaged. If you detect a natural gas leak – that smell of rotten eggs – get out of your home and call 9-1-1.