Unreleased Bruce Springsteen Song Highlights Movie Soundtrack
The movie hits theaters on Aug. 14; the CD and digital versions of the companion album will arrive on Aug. 9, with a two-LP version released on Aug. 30.
In addition to studio recordings of classics like "Born to Run," "Prove It All Night," "Dancing in the Dark" and the title track, the soundtrack includes three live tracks: "Thunder Road" from the Roxy in Los Angeles recorded in 1975 (the same version that kicked off Live 1975-85), the world premiere of "The River" from the 1979 No Nukes concert and "The Promised Land" from the 2014 Concert for Valor on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
Springsteen originally submitted "I'll Stand by You" for inclusion in 2001's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, but the studio turned it down. It popped up on a bootleg two years ago. This will be its first official release.
The soundtrack also contains snippets of dialogue, music composed for the movie by A.R. Rahman and tracks by the Pet Shop Boys and A-ha. You can see the track listing below.
Directed by Gurinder Chadha from an adaptation of British journalist Sarfraz Manzoor's memoir Greetings From Bury Park, Blinded by the Light tells the story of a Brit from Pakistani descent who gets turned onto Springsteen's music as a teenager in the '80s. He soon finds parallels between Springsteen's lyrical themes and his own struggles. The movie received rave reviews when it premiered at Sundance in January.
"As a lifelong Bruce fan, I am delighted how this soundtrack takes you through the experience of watching my movie with Springsteen music complemented by the other tracks, including very personal tracks — from my dad's favorite song to a British Bhangra anthem," Chada said in a press release. "Growing up, Sarfraz and I could never have imagined a universe where all these songs would be on one soundtrack reflecting our lives."
'Blinded by the Light': Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Track Listing
1. "Ode to Javed/Javed's Poem" – A.R. Rahman
2. "It's a Sin" – Pet Shop Boys
3. "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." – a-ha
4. "The Boss of Us All" (dialogue)
5. "Dancing in the Dark" – Bruce Springsteen
6. "You Should Be Listening to Our Music" (dialogue)
7. "I Never Knew Music Could Be Like This" (dialogue)
8. *The River" – Bruce Springsteen (live)
9. "Number One Paki Film" (dialogue)
10. "Badlands" – Bruce Springsteen
11. "Cover Me" – Bruce Springsteen
12. "Thunder Road" – Bruce Springsteen (live)
13. "Get Outta My Way Fascist Pigs" – Amer Chadha-Patel
14. "Do It For Me" (dialogue)
15. "Prove It All Night" – Bruce Springsteen
16. "Hungry Heart" – Bruce Springsteen
17. "You, Me…and Bruce" (dialogue)
18. "Because the Night" – Bruce Springsteen
19. "Maar Chadapa" – Heera
20. "The Promised Land" – Bruce Springsteen (live)
21. "Blinded by the Light" – Bruce Springsteen
22. "Born to Run" – Bruce Springsteen
23. *I'll Stand By You – Bruce Springsteen
24. *For You My Love – A.R. Rahman